Art Encounters Program
TOAF provides support and mentorship to a select group of artists to offset the barriers and pressure of participating in the Fair.
Artists who require accessibility and financial support are eligible to apply for additional assistance through our Art Encounters program. At Toronto Outdoor Art Fair, we have established a rich tradition of launching successful careers and providing a highly accessible venue for artists and the public to meet face-to-face. For the past 60 years, we have aimed to remove barriers to the arts from the perspective of cost, approachability and by welcoming diverse artists and audiences.
Who is Eligible?
Visual artists and makers who are in OAC defined priority groups listed below are eligible to apply.
- Deaf artists and/or artists who identify as having a disability
- Indigenous artists
- Newcomer artists (less than 3 years in Canada)
*It is possible that you may be accepted into the Fair, and not the Art Encounters Program due to limited program capacity. Artists must be currently living in Canada to be eligible for the Art Encounters program.
How to Apply
1. Prepare your application materials, review the Application Tips:
- A cohesive body of 6 artwork images
- 1 Image of your artworks in context (in a booth, table top or on a wall)
- A brief artist statement (500 characters, not words)
- Description of your artworks/process (200 characters, not words)
- Prepare a statement addressing: How will participating in Toronto Outdoor Art Fair be a valuable experience for you as an artist? How will the Art Encounters program benefit you? (2,500 characters)
2. Click ‘Apply Now’ and fill out the form.
3. Opt-in to the Art Encounters Program by checking one of the boxes.
4. Add your Art Encounters Statement.
5. Pay for your application.
6. Once you are done, we will email you the results in April 2022 (Date TBC).
Hear from the artists...
“Toronto Outdoor Art Fair’s unique Art Encounters program took me under their wings, not only has it allowed me to develop my confidence with interacting with the audience and making sales, it also made me feel included in the larger part of the world.”
- Peter Owusu-Ansah, Art Encounters Artist
“Being part of the Art Encounters Program helped ensure that I didn't fall through any administrative gaps in transitioning to an online platform. It was helpful to have someone reviewing my materials and profile to send feedback and actionable steps that I could take to ensure my success.”
- Carrie Perreault, Art Encounters Artist
Get Application Support
If you require an alternative application method or have questions about application/eligibility please contact us at [email protected] or by phone at 416 408 2754 (texts are welcome).
Our heartfelt thanks to the Lindy Green Family Foundation, the lead supporter of the Art Encounters Program; Higgins Event Rentals, who generously sponsor the booth rentals for our Art Encounters artists annually & to all our individual supporters.