Toronto Potters community booth, July 2017 - Photo by Tiffany Zhan
Call for Nonprofit and Artist-Run Galleries
July 2-11, 2021 at Nathan Phillips Square and Online
Accepting Community Booth applications until March 18, 2021
Be part of Canada’s leading contemporary outdoor art fair! Toronto Outdoor Art Fair invites visual arts and fine craft collectives, nonprofit galleries and artist-run centres from across Canada to submit proposals to exhibit and sell the works of their artist members. Showcase and promote your mission and reach out to a new audience of thousands of visitors in a limited number of community booths alongside over 360 individual artists during the hybrid online/outdoor 60th Anniversary of the Fair.
Many organizations and art collectives have taken advantage of this opportunity to showcase their membership and promote their mission including: Propeller Centre for the Arts, Toronto Potters, Scarborough Arts, Tangled Arts + Disability, F8 Photography Collective and Creative Works Studio.
"Toronto Potters, both as an organization, and as a group of individuals, gained much from the experience as a Community Booth participating in TOAF Online in 2020. TOAF eased us into a new online experience, helping both in setting up our page and in publicizing the event. TOAF turned on a dime to respond to a community need and built a suite of programmes to showcase and promote their arts event to its wide audience of supporters… Toronto Potters has found TOAF a successful promotional platform to introduce benefits of membership to both students and newcomers because of its wide following."
- Susan Card, Toronto Potters Member
"2018 was the first time Scarborough Arts presented artists at TOAF. The event aligns with our strategic priority to increase the profile of our organization and the profile of our artists and members. These goals were achieved through the community booth program. We had hundreds of visitors, made important connections, introduced our artists to key Toronto cultural leaders, and were able to offer an accessible entry point for artists to sell their work and grow their audiences."
- Monica Gutierrez, Development and Partnership Manager, Scarborough Arts
"Being a part of the Toronto Outdoor Art Fair allowed Creative Works Studio members a chance to expand their awareness of who they are as artists as well as expose them to professional, working artists. Being in a large art show like TOAF also lets the public know about Creative Works Studio as a potential resource, and as a charity that they could support. It was interesting to see all walks of life, as well as being able to meet other great artists and seeing their work."
- Bernadette Wycks, Creative Works Studio Lead, Good Shepherd Non-Profit Homes Toronto
Who is eligible?
- Artist Collectives
- Artist Run Centres and Galleries
- Visual Arts Nonprofits
- Visual Arts Guilds and Groups
Why participate in TOAF?
Grow your network in person and online: TOAF is the best-attended art fair in Canada! The 2020 Online Fair saw a 300% increase in pageviews to our e-commerce platform and over 43,000 unique visitors from a growing network of online art buyers across Canada, US and beyond.
- Customizable sales experience: You can choose to showcase your artworks online on our user-friendly e-commerce platform, in-person at Nathan Phillips Square (with pandemic safety measures), or both!
What We Offer:
- On-site Presence: TOAF provides your tent, walls and grids within your dedicated booth space in our Community Booth Zone, logo recognition and location marker in our Fair Guide (10K copies distributed), and recognition on relevant on-site signage
- A successful & comprehensive marketing campaign: Benefit from our multi-platform national marketing and promotions resulting in 69 million media impressions from 2019’s campaign. Plus, additional opportunities to be spotlighted through our social media channels with an audience of over 23K followers!
- Ongoing professional development: Dedicated support and guidance from our team through application workshops, portfolio reviews, and Booth Camp workshops (what to expect onsite, how to grow your digital outreach and social media skills)
- Free online and onsite resources and support: Assistance and troubleshooting for your artist and product pages, instructional videos, 200 volunteers to assist you with the logistics at Nathan Phillips Square, professional, secure artwork storage and comprehensive Artist Handbook
- A vibrant community: TOAF is dedicated to creating a welcoming and inclusive environment for all of our artists and makers, with a focus on accessibility and special initiatives for artists in priority groups.
- And more!
What does it cost?
Onsite Nonprofit Community Booth Fees
10x10' Community Booth: $1,250 (includes space, tent rental, tables, chairs, and hanging grids)
10x20' Community Booth: $2,500 (includes space, tent rental, tables, chairs, and hanging grids)
Online Profile = $500: 25 artworks for sale at one time. Can be replaced once sold (during the fair only)
What does the fee cover?
- A dedicated booth space in our community booth zone
- Tent, walls and grids
- Logo recognition in our Community Program
- Location highlighted in on-site program (10,000 copies)
- There are secure on-site storage units available first-come, first-serve at an additional cost.
How to Apply
Proposals must include:
- Mission and mandate of your organization/group (max. 300 words)
- Statement of Intent/Curatorial Vision (addressing how this opportunity is a fit for your organization, how it will advance your mandate or benefit your members (max. 750 words)
- A booth image/visual representation of your proposed installation at the Fair
- Full names, website URLs and one image for each artist who intends to participate in your booth (6-11 artists). You may only include names of artist members who do not plan to apply as individual artists for the 60th Toronto Outdoor Art Fair. Please ensure each image is captioned with dimensions, medium and name of the artist.
- Organization’s main contact person, their name and contact information
*You can only put forward names of artist members who do not plan to apply as individual artists for the 60th Toronto Outdoor Art Fair in 2021.
Submit all materials as a single PDF to [email protected] by March 18, 2021 @ 11:59 PM EST.
We look forward to receiving your proposals!
Contact us at [email protected] or 416 408 2754.
The TOAF team cares about the health and safety of our artists and the public we serve. We are hopeful to return to a smaller in-person, physically-distanced event by July 2021, following the safety guidelines provided by Toronto Public Health.
In the event that the in-person event is cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Online Fair will continue regardless. Despite the challenges of the pandemic, our dedicated community of patrons, community partners, and art lovers came together in 2020 to support the pilot Online Fair, creating a viable platform that we plan to build upon for 2021 and aid in artists’ financial recovery.